Ashley E. LaValley
312-982-0068 (direct dial)
Ashley is a partner of the firm focusing on intellectual property matters in federal and state courts throughout the country, including claims of patent infringement, copyright infringement, trademark and trade dress infringement, trade secret misappropriation, right of publicity, antitrust, breach of contract, and other related tort claims. Her experience spans across a broad range of technologies including cellular phone technology, sporting goods equipment, LEDs, semiconductors, internet-based medical billing software, sales incentive management software, household goods, MoCA technology, e-commerce software, and internet-based search systems.
Ashley has experience in all aspects of litigation, from the initial pre-filing investigation through trial and post-trial motions. She has taken and defended numerous fact and expert depositions and has successfully argued claim construction (Markman) hearings and summary judgment motions in federal court. Her trial experience includes all pretrial briefing, preparing trial witnesses and cross-examination questions, briefing and arguing evidentiary issues, and briefing post-trial motions. She has also negotiated favorable licenses and settlement agreements on behalf of her clients.
Ashley received her Juris Doctor from the George Washington University Law School. During law school, she served as the Executive Managing Editor of the AIPLA Quarterly Journal and also interned with the Honorable Joseph E. Beshouri of the District of Columbia Superior Court. Ashley obtained her undergraduate degree in physics from Georgetown University, where she also minored in mathematics. She is also registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- B.A., Physics, Georgetown University
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Recognition and Activities
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2016-2021
- Executive Managing Editor, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Quarterly Journal, 2010-2011
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)