James (Jay) Mitchell
312-982-0067 (direct dial)
James (Jay) Mitchell joined Lee Sheikh & Haan as an associate in 2022. Previously, Jay had worked as an associate at a litigation firm where he was involved in all aspects of civil litigation, including taking fact and expert witness depositions, successfully arguing dispositive motions, and preparing and taking cases to trial with positive jury verdict outcomes as trial counsel.
Jay received his Juris Doctor from Chicago-Kent College of Law with a certificate in Intellectual Property Law. During law school, Jay served as the Managing Editor of the Journal of Intellectual Property, and assisted in publishing the first joint issue involving the Journal’s collaboration with the PTAB Bar Association. Jay also interned for the Chicago-Kent Intellectual Property Clinic.
As an undergraduate, he earned a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Minor in Mathematics. While at Illinois, Jay worked for a Fortune 500 agriculture machinery company as part of his Senior Design Project.
- J.D., IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Recognition and Activities
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Managing Editor, Chicago-Kent Journal of Intellectual Property, 2017–2018
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award – Legal Analytics